Number of computer users in India is big but its a small fraction of the entire population. The reason being the language divide. About 5 percent of India’s population conduct business in English, the remaining 95 percent prefers their own regional language. This disparity in language is one of the main contributors to the digital divide.
One way of addressing this digital divide is to promote Indian language computing. The success of this movement would require the active involvement of developers, linguists, academicians, the end user of these products and students. What is required is a common platform for people from these sections to interact and contribute to the Indian language computing movement.
Towards establishing a direct contact and providing a common platform to the larger community of people, including students, linguists, academicians etc, Microsoft launched the portal "www.bhashaindia.com". This portal aims at building a community of developers and linguistic academia who will contribute towards the development and use of Indian languages for PC usage. The portals a one-point reference for all Indic related activities.
For more detail please check - http://bhashaindia.com/Pages/Aboutbhashaindia.aspx